A.I. Kitsios LLC attended the STEP SIG Conference held in London on 22/11/2019 and participated in two conference sessions.
The first session dealt with the subject of “Digital Estates” and covered, among others, the following topics:
- Digital Assets in Estate administration (Cryptoassets, etc);
- The importance of email and social media to uncover hidden digital assets;
- Legal constraints with finding andaccessing digital assets in the Cloud;
- Electronic and alternative Wills;
- Electronic signatures vs. digital signatures;
Emerging technology solutions specifically developed for digital asset estate administration.
The second session dealt with the subject of “Recent Developments in the law of trusts” and covered, among others, the following topics:
- Disclosure, Data Protection and Legal Professional Privilege (ability of potentially hostile beneficiaries to get access to documentation held by a trustee);
- Supervision of Trust Companies – Duties of trustees and the anti-Bartlett provision;
- Trustees’ right of Indemnity: Priority between former and current trustees.