Socrates Ioannou Kitsios
- LLB (University of Leicester)
- Bar Professional Training Course (BPP Law School)
- ADIT (Advanced Diploma in International Taxation)
- Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission’s Advanced Examination Certificate
- Cyprus Bar Association
- Limassol Bar Association
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- International Bar Association
- Banking and Finance
- Civil Fraud, Asset Recovery and Injunctions
- Corporate and Commercial
- Financial Crime
- Financial Services
- IP, Data and Technology
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Private Client
Socrates has extensive experience in court procedures and regularly appears before the district courts in Cyprus and the Supreme Court, representing prominent clients.
His practice primarily focuses on commercial disputes and civil fraud, banking and finance disputes, tax advisory and tax litigation, asset recovery and injunctions and insurance claims and torts.
Socrates acts for domestic and international clients, including directors, high net worth individuals and companies, for cases of criminal and regulatory investigations. Such cases often involve bribery, system and controls failure, market manipulation, money laundering and international sanctions. He also regularly appears before criminal courts and relevant authorities during client investigations relating to financial crime.
Moreover, Socrates advises on Regulators’ application requirements and procedures for the acquisition of a license for EU based Investment Firms (IFs), Payments and Electronic Money Institutions, Investment Funds, Corporate/Administrative Service Providers and Insurance Firms and Brokers. In addition, he provides consultation to financial institutions with respect to any post-license regulatory obligations, necessary to meet specific compliance requirements.
Socrates is also an accredited tax professional, having successfully completed the ADIT professional qualification, and is also registered in the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission’s Public Register of Registered Persons as holder of the Advanced Certification.
- Represented a credit institution in an interim order application made by debtors to prohibit foreclosure measures for assets worth of €4mio until final hearing of the case
- Represented a credit institution before the Supreme Court in a case regarding the enforcement of an arbitral award in favour of the institution
- Represented a client in the recognition and enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in Cyprus, which involved civil fraud and asset recovery.
- Advised high-net worth individuals on their tax rights and exemptions under the Cyprus legal and tax framework
- Represented an insurance company in a high-value claim for compensation for accident at work at a construction site